What we do
Mission and Outreach are central to who we are as a church and the ministry that goes forth from these doors. Records from the mid 1880’s reflect this and Annual Reports continue to witness to our call to serve. It may be just down the street, other side of York County, Downeast Maine, Gulf Coast of MS or across the oceans. We believe the gospel calls us to be our sisters’ and brothers’ keeper.
Members of the Outreach Committee continue to bring forth opportunities of service as well as strive to educate the congregation through speakers and programs. Hands on mission and outreach settings and financial support include:
- Bon Appetite Soup Kitchen, Biddeford
- York County Shelter Pasta Public Supper, Alfred
- Habitat for Humanity, York County
- Back Bay Mission, Biloxi MS
- Immigrant/Refugee Family Support, Biddeford-Portland
- Grace Street Ministry, Portland
- Community Harvest, Kennebunk
- Church Community Outreach Services, Kennebunk
There are but a sampling where our hands and hearts have touched the lives of others.... and been touched in return.
South Church is fortunate to offer generous support to others in need through our Deacons’ Fund, Minister’s Discretionary Fund and the Panzenhagen Fund for young people in recovery of addictions. We remain an active supporter of Bangor Theological Seminary, Andover Newton Theological School, the Maine Council of Churches and our Maine Conference – United Church of Christ through Our Church’s Wider Mission.South Church is fortunate to offer generous support to others in need through our Deacons’ Fund, Minister’s Discretionary Fund and the Panzenhagen Fund for young people in recovery of addictions. We remain an active supporter of Bangor Theological Seminary, Andover Newton Theological School, the Maine Council of Churches and our Maine Conference – United Church of Christ through Our Church’s Wider Mission.
From Outreach Committee - As the seasons change, we call your attention to several opportunities before us as people of faith:
- Holiday Baskets for those in the Kennebunks-Arundel area will be distributed Thanksgiving week and again at Christmas. A list of needed items is posted on the bulletin (or if you simply wish to write a check of support) as well as if you wish to make deliveries.
- Grace Street Ministry – an outreach program to those experiencing homelessness in Portland- is hoping South Church might provide 25 or so hooded sweatshirts or hoodies, size L, XL and XXL. We are also seeking $5 Dunkin Donut gift cards for that program to distribute which allows an individual to seek shelter and warmth as a customer during the winter. Any donations for this program would be gratefully received. A box awaits your support.
- For area school children, a mitten/glove tree – another option for your support.
- Once again, the Circle of Giving – alternative Christmas giving option to support non-profits; gifts you make in honor of or in gratitude for someone of your choosing.
From the Kennebunkport Health Council – welcoming gifts of knitted stocking caps for newborns during February – Heart Healthy Month.